[c-nsp] Internet in VRF

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Mon May 4 12:39:11 EDT 2015

If you have the BGP free core already built, I’d definitely do 6PE.  We’ve been doing it for many years now with no issues at all.

As for RSVP-TE we run that as well, but for definite reasons.  We forward different CoS over different LSPs, use it for traffic engineering, use FRR, and need support for SRLGs since we operate all layers of the network.  Juniper should have SR support early next year as people are driving them to it.  ALU has it in their very recent 13.0 release, but I believe it’s still labeled as not for production just yet.  SR doesn’t do everything RSVP-TE does in a distributed control-plane, but I could see it replacing LDP.

We don’t run Internet in a VRF, we have no real use cases where we can’t control what we need through policy.  Our core infrastructure isn’t accessible from our customers or the Internet, but it does require using the right infrastructure ACLs. If I was doing a greenfield build may do it but having the complexity of putting different transits, peers, etc. in their own VRFs is kind of overkill IMHO.

Phil