[c-nsp] Good edge routers for Transit connections?

Scott Granados scott at granados-llc.net
Tue May 5 10:29:48 EDT 2015

Hi,
I’m looking at the Cisco web site and trying to figure which direction to go in to for a multi home access project I have coming up.  The goal will be to terminate 2 carriers with full BGP feeds each providing 2 1G connections from diverse data centers and announce a small number of blocks.  I’m thinking about the following config and wonder if anyone has any comments or better suggestions for hardware configurations.

Cisco ASR-1001X with Route Processor 2 w/ 8GB of ram.
seems to have 6 1G ports and 2 10G ports for uplinks.  I’m thinking about this unit *2 eating taking 2 of the 4 connections, uplinked via 10G and connected with IBGP.  HSRP enabled on the inside interfaces.

Anyone have any complaints or positive things to say about these units or suggest something more appropriate.  I would enable the maximum throughput via licensing although 20G is probably a lot more than I need at this stage.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you
Scott