[c-nsp] Cheap BGP router for ~20k prefixes

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Wed May 6 17:17:26 EDT 2015

We've just started to evaluate the CSR1000V as a traffic-carrying router.
So far we've pushed about 2.2Gb/s through it with no problems. When it
comes to PPS - we're doing about 450k. The way the load shapes seems to
indicate that the box should be able to handle about 5Gb/s using the APPX
licence. Currently we run it on ESX and implemented all the Cisco suggested
tweaking (in order to get better performance out of it), that roughly
doubled the performance over the default settings. The devices are
MPLS-enabled and integrated into our core and do only packet forwarding
(between IP and MPLS).
We didn't try VM-FEX just yet (that's suppose to significantly increase the
PPS).  The physical infrastructure they run on - Cisco UCS, B200M3 blade.

kind regards
Pshem