[c-nsp] BGP Address-Family

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Wed May 13 03:49:34 EDT 2015

> Mohammad Khalil
> Sent: 13 May 2015 07:57
>
> Hi all
> I have a question regarding BGP
> I have MPLS network consisting of several P and PE routers with VPNv4
> address-family in place
> The default behavior for BGP is that it will establish a neighbor by default
> under the ipv4 address-family
> I do not have any ipv4 prefixes advertised on these routers
> I can disable this behavior by no bgp default ipv4-unicast , but my question is
> if the router is already running , will the default behavior of BGP will affect
> resources?
>
> Thanks

Hi Mohammad,
If you are not advertising any prefixes via the IPv4 AF then no additional resources are consumed.
At your current stage it's a mere capability being negotiated over the common TCP session.
However If you now decide to disable it at either end the TCP session will reset affecting your VPNv4 prefixes.

adam