[c-nsp] 7600 upgrade recommendations?

Bill Buhlman BBuhlman at cccoe.k12.ca.us
Fri May 15 17:20:08 EDT 2015

Hi,
I've been a lurker for a long time and just listening and learning but now I'd like some help please.

I'd like some recommendations, we are running a 7609 with dual Sup720-3BXL's and 22 Metro Ethernet connections ranging from 10Mbs up to 10G. We are a service provider for school districts in our county. Our transit traffic is usually 3Gbs ~6Gbs but peaked at 9Gbs yesterday out to our provider.

I have one WS-6708 with two agg circuits (ATT and Comcast) that need to be line rate and also a SIP-400 with a 1x10GE to the provider router which is on site here. I also have one ES-20 (not ES20+) LC with 10 ports active. I still have a channelized DS3 with only 7 DS1's so I can use an 8-port serial if I need to.

I am running BGP with just a default route to our provider but will need to run at least one full table (v4 and v6) in the future. I am running EIGRP to the schools that we provide Internet access for.

ISSUES - We have districts now that are buying point to point 10G circuits and I estimate I will need three 10G ports at line rate (agg circuits) and three that can be oversubscribed in the next year with at least two ports reserve or the ability to add another line card. (So an additional three 10G ports). I need at least ten 1G SFP based ports (I am ready to give up the ES20 and buy the "+" version). I also need shaping, policing and HQoS that doesn't tax the supervisor CPU's. I think the ES20+ LC will do this?

Cisco of course wants to sell me an ASR9K but I am not apposed to staying with the 7600 if it can hang with a few new or used parts....

Thanks in advance!

-Bill

Bill Buhlman
Network Engineer