[c-nsp] 7600 upgrade recommendations?

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Sun May 17 07:48:42 EDT 2015

Hi Bill

> Bill Buhlman
> Sent: 15 May 2015 22:20
>
> Cisco of course wants to sell me an ASR9K but I am not apposed to staying
> with the 7600 if it can hang with a few new or used parts....

You can patch the 7600 for some time but eventually you'd need to replace it anyway.
So instead of investing into something obsolete you can use the money to buy something that will last for lot more.
Well and you can always use the 7600 as aggregation SW for the ASR9K to aggregate the low speed links into 1G or 10G towards the ASR.
Basic ASR9001 is not that expensive and can be upgraded as you grow -though with incremental updates one overpays the box at the end.
The only drawback is that ASR9001 only has one integrated RSP so no resilience there.
Or you can go with MX platform but that one will not give you 10G line-rate on multiple ports of a q-card and you won't be able to run EIGRP on that one.

adam