[c-nsp] IOS XR / advertise best-external

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun May 17 16:48:29 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 08:40:08PM +0100, Dan Peachey wrote:
> > IOS XR 4.3.4SP6 on ASR9001.
[..]

> I have used this in the past on ASR9001 which was running 4.3.4 SP1 IIRC.
> Unfortunately I don't have access to this network anymore to double check
> but I'm pretty certain this is not the behaviour I observed. The
> best-external path should be seen as an additional path in the BGP table
> but not be installed in the RIB/FIB as far as I understand.

Glad you say that :-) - so this might turn out to be a bug, or some
combination of "things", and not intended behaviour...

> I assume there is nothing else in your BGP config which might be causing
> this? No 'additional-paths' or 'maximum-paths' commands for example?

Unless it's on-by-default, no.  "show run formal | inc path" only
has route-map / as-path stuff, nothing regarding add-path etc. (which
my other routers don't support, so I'm not yet going there).

OTOH, I seem to be good at finding combinations of options that make
XR BGP misbehave... ("update wait-install" reliably gets bgpd into a
hanging state, waiting for ipv4_rib, which is locked waiting for
itself...  case is open, but needs more testing to fully understand
all circumstances)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de