[c-nsp] IOS XR / advertise best-external

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon May 18 03:15:25 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 08:21:10AM +0200, Marian ??urkovi?? wrote:
> the fact that both entries are present in RIB and CEF tables is expected
> behaviour. It's part of the new design, where both active and backup paths are
> preinstalled into the CEF table, which allows much faster convergence when the
> active path disappears. Note that the backup path has different CEF flags, which
> should instruct the forwarding engine *not* to use it when another regular path
> is present in CEF table.

All of a sudden, this makes sense :-) - thanks a lot for this explanation.

(That it doesn't actually *behave* that way seems to be a bug, and those can
be fixed - having load-shared CEF entries in there was totally unexplicable,
but if the intention is to "not load share", I'm fine ;-) )

> It should be investigated why your router uses the backup path for traffic -
> this is clearly wrong. One possible reason might be that the affected linecards
> are running different firmware version than required by the IOS.

It's an ASR9001, it has been rebooted after upgrading to 4.3.4SP6,
and "admin show hw-module fpd location all" doesn't show any pending
upgrades - so any idea why it could be running a different firmware?

But anyway, thanks - I'll try to reproduce on another ASR9001 that is not
"in the critical path" yet, and then open a case for it...

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de