[c-nsp] Virtual CPE as a service on Metro-E last mile - Suggestions/inputs required

Arun Kumar narain.arun at gmail.com
Wed May 20 02:47:02 EDT 2015

Hi Pros,

Thinking of Virtual CPE as a service to enterprise customers where CPE is
virtualized in POP and low cost device in customer premises as a simple
bridge device which bridges the traffic to v-CPE in POP. This is to have
cost advantage to customers and in POP, any different service can be easily
enabled as required by customer solution - firewall, routing, wan
acceleration etc.

But the challenge is the backhaul from customer premise to our POP is on
Metro-E Layer 2 switched network. Hence the Layer 2 cannot be extended on
Metro-E which can cause significant ARP broadcast as the gateway for
customer LAN is in v-CPE in POP.

Couple of queries:

a. Is there a way to configure MAC-in-MAC between a bridge device in
customer premises and a MAC-in-MAC gateway till our POP, so that Metro-E
backhaul can only see outer MAC address? Can this option be possible, If
yes, what would be cost advantage gained when the bridge device costing is
low?

b. Sure other providers would be doing this kind of solution, but how do
they achieve this and overcome the challenges of LAN extension over shared
Metro-E L2 switched network.

Thanks in advance,
Arun