[c-nsp] 7604 incorrent counter values on VLAN interface

Bill Wichers billw at waveform.net
Fri May 22 14:37:10 EDT 2015

Correct, they will wrap when you have moved more than about 4 billion bytes
(2^32) in a single 5 minute polling cycle. That works out to just over
114.5Mb/s

It's usually easiest these days to just use 64 bit counters for everything,
but with anything over essentially a 100M interface it's essential.

For the original poster: you might want to have Cacti rescan for interfaces
on the device you're watching. I've seen VLANs show bad info because Cacti
isn't polling the correct counter for the interface it thinks it's watching.
For this reason I always watch all the VLANs and the physical interface
they're bound to (on aggregator devices) so that there is a sanity check for
incorrect graphs. If all the VLANs don't add up to roughly the same as the
physical interface then you know there is a problem with one or more of the
graphs.

Also, in the web interface for Cacti, if you select the type of graph in the
lower right in the interfaces screen for a device, it will gray out all the
interfaces you're already graphing with that graph type. You can quickly
tell if you're using 32 or 64 bit counters for a given graph that way.

  -Bill