[c-nsp] "New" IOS release time frame, when bug is identified

CiscoNSP List cisconsp_list at hotmail.com
Fri May 22 16:18:55 EDT 2015

> >Interesting - based on your explanations on this thread, I had a strange
> feeling that the box was running out of labels to assign to prefixes
> because, well, there were either too many prefixes to assign labels to, or
> too few >labels to assign to prefixes.

Correct - but the bigger issue is, that labels are assigned, route removed from rib, prefix stays in lib(i.e. It *should* be automatically removed after 5 minutes...this is the expected behaviour)...this is the underlying issue....and also that the device doesnt alert/log that it has no labels to assign to "new" prefixes.

> >This is unlike Junos, which assigns labels only to Loopback routes by
> default.

hehe, that is a "sane" default

> The networks I've been involved with only assign labels to loopbacks.
> Wouldn't it be a huge waste to assign labels to all IGP prefixes? They're
> not your next-hops (hopefully).
>
> Anyway, I guess it would take a quite large network to run out of labels or
> a lot of change in the network.

Definitely..."somehow", a ton a prefixes got leaked into IGP some time ago...potentially a fat finger on a redist...anyway, all those prefixes were removed from RIB, and the ME should have done appropriate house cleaning and removed them from fib...but it didnt, and therefore, no "new" legit prefixes could be allocated labels...all our boxes now have the above filtering on them(i.e. labels only assigned to /32 loops)....lesson learnt!

Cheers