[c-nsp] Virtual CPE as a service on Metro-E last mile - Suggestions/inputs required

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun May 24 11:51:44 EDT 2015

On 24/May/15 17:43, Tom Hill wrote:

> 1. 50% of the time, the customer will want to simply connect a switch to
> your switch. Architecturally, you will need to ensure they can't create
> loops.

I suppose this is the only sensible way to provide vCPE services, since
the routing is happening in the cloud.

> 2. in the UK, at least, many customers wanted some sort of routed
> failover - and very few of our wholesale providers would transport LACP
> frames. In the cases where we needed to provide ADSL failover, an extra
> Cisco ISR was also shipped to site with an HWIC, and this made the build
> somewhat more expensive.

But this, typically, limits the 2nd link to be terminated at the same
edge router at the ISP end (unless your network is one which supports
MC-LAG, which is a bit of a hit-or-miss, based on what I've seen out in
the field in the past 3x years).

I believe this could be one of the problems that bears down on the vCPE
campaign, considering that any form of clean and diverse automated
redundancy (that could involve use of both links) is pretty much
impossible at Layer 2.

Mark.