[c-nsp] Cisco Nexus as MetroE switch?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Nov 3 07:07:14 EST 2015

On 3/Nov/15 13:28, Marian Ďurkovič wrote:

> OK, let’s take Cisco as an example. It indeed seems that their FabricPath
> (proprietary TRILL implementation incompatible with RFC6325) is no
> longer promoted and VXLAN+BGP is the new buzzword. But wait, multiple
> posters mentioned here, that it’s even more complex than MPLS.
> Is the ever-increasing complexity really something that customers want?

I suppose VXLAN makes a lot of sense in cases where either the network
provider does not support MPLS, or the infrastructure owner prefers to
handle his own overlay over IP, without needing to complicate their
lives by purchasing an overlay service from another provider.

If, however, a network already operates an MPLS network, EVPN could be a
simple(r) way of re-using existing infrastructure.

That said, I'd probably consider VXLAN if I want VM's to natively
participate in a Layer 2 domain, without needing to necessarily involve
the network.

Mark.