[c-nsp] BGP peering visibility

Nick Cutting ncutting at edgetg.co.uk
Tue Nov 3 09:15:40 EST 2015

Good afternoon,

I've have a datacenter that I have failed over to use our secondary link to the internet. At this location we only accept a default route from each carrier. Outbound was simply set with local pref.

Inbound, I'm now sending a load of prepends and a last resort community.
My clients connecting to various hosted services are generally using two major UK business internet carriers.
One carrier - is working as expected and I can see best paths on the looking glass I expect.

However the Other carrier's looking glass - which is what the other 40 percent of clients use, is using the inbound route with multiple prepends and the last resort community.

I have a ticket open with the carrier I wanted to  make secondary inbound- (to check communities are being received and are correct).
However, I was hoping to do some investigation myself for my own understanding as much as trying to fix this issue - while I wait for their reply.

I imagine many people on this list have decent visibility as you probably have multiple peerings.
What tools are out there that may help me with my limited visibility?
I want to see the how the carriers that my clients are using are connected to my own upstream ISP's - I'm not sure how to go about this.

Any tips or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.  Also - I'm not sure what can be mentioned in these emails - in terms of who these carriers are.

Thank you,

Nick