[c-nsp] BGP peering visibility

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Nov 3 17:25:33 EST 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 09:32:01PM +0000, Nick Cutting wrote:
> And the theory being if they are using the route, due to LOCAL_PREF they will advertise it - and it is the communities they use, on behalf of the ones I sent, upstream that will influence their peers? - due to the non-transitive nature of LP?

Depending on the value of local-pref - if they set it to "lower than for
other paths to that prefix", they won't use your path unless it is the
only remaining one.

Now which particular values a network uses for local-pref is a local
choice - the *default* value is 100, and "lower" means "worse", but
people are free to use 1000 for "customers" and "999" for "peers",
or anything else.  Talk to your upstream, this is the only way to
figure out why they are still sending traffic to you and what you
should be doing differently.

Now, if your upstream is not able to answer that question, *change* the
upstream, because they are not worth the money you give them.  There's
way too many idiots out there selling cheap bandwidth but not being able
to spell BGP, let alone diagnose and debug it.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de