[c-nsp] Cisco Nexus as MetroE switch?

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Wed Nov 4 06:04:46 EST 2015

> Marian Durkovic
> Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 8:24 AM
> On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 13:33:51 +0000, Adam Vitkovsky wrote
> > To me it's like building a Frame-Relay backbone, we've been there and
> > learned it's better to build L3 backbones over which we can build
> > virtual overlays and transport L2/L3/CEoP/SAToP/whatever else future
> > brings right?
>
> As explained above, TRILL *is* internally using L3 backbone to transport
> ethernet packets. This is way different than Flame-Delay offered.

Hmm maybe Huawei s doing something radically different.

But my understanding is that TRILL is using MAC in MAC encapsulation just like PBB.
And just like CLNS* routing routes between NSAP addresses, TRILL routes between Bridge IDs (with the exception that the TRILL Bridge IDs are flat addresses)
Or like in IP routing Integrated ISIS carries end system IP address reachability information in TRILL ISIS can carry information about end system MAC addresses if ESADI is enabled.
But there's no need for IP addresses in this model whatsoever.

*I used term CLNS routing because it encompasses IS-IS as well as PNNI(best routing protocol ever created IMO) used in ATM.
-So that's why it seems to me I witness the history repeating itself.

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.