[c-nsp] Cisco ASR/CSR VXLAN

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Thu Nov 5 04:13:19 EST 2015

Hi Skeeve,

> Skeeve Stevens
> Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 3:51 PM
>
> Hi all,
>
> I presume this issue is the same on both the CSR1k and ASR1k platforms.
>
> Given that VXLAN has to terminate on a Layer 3 interface... I am struggling to
> figure out how to terminate a VXLAN at layer 2 on the platform and then put
> layer 3 onto it (SVI style).
>
> Anyone got any ideas?

On ASR9k you can do VXLAN L3 GW BDI style i.e. setting "routed interface bvi" under the bridge-domain that is a member of a vni.
- but I'm not sure if the same is supported on ASR1k (certainly can't see it anywhere in the docs).

But don't confuse this with VXLAN L3 GW EVPN style - if you are using EVPN CP for VXLAN you can stitch EVPN NLRI to L3VPN NLRI effectively converting EVPN routes into L3VPN routes to be carried across MPLS L3VPN.
(though one has to ask why this interim step and not implementing native L2VPN with EVPN CP for VXLAN).

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.