[c-nsp] Cisco4k and assync serial

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Nov 13 06:19:28 EST 2015

On 12 November 2015 at 23:50, CiscoNSP List <CiscoNSP_list at hotmail.com> wrote:
> We recently went from the old Cisco 2500's -> Opengear (As pstn modems were getting impossible to source) - Opengears support pstn/3g/4g/eth/fibre/wireless/vpn etc, so they are quite versatile...

I get that, at job-2 I rooted for Opengear, but MGMT didn't want to
introduce another vendor, which forced to look at other options. My
main reason why I was driving Cyclades at job-3 and Opengear in job-2
was that I wanted persistent logging of console messages and I wanted
multiplexing of console port (so that you can always connect to it,
even if previous person went for a coffee), and these features are not
available on CSCO.

However after discovering 'conserver', I now greatly prefer real
router with async ports and conserver. Simply due to OPEX reductions
by having no special case device in the network, and as said multiple
WAN options, like E1.
job-2 was selling DMVPN/IPSEC to customers so we didn't need to
develop any tooling, train any people, worry about config backups etc.
Just existing DMVPN/IPSEC tunnel to typical CPE, and we can produce
OOB CPE with no new OPEX.

I don't think I'll ever look back. Hopefully in future CMP style
solution is available everywhere, and we can finally say goodbye to
RS232.
--
  ++ytti