[c-nsp] ASA-V vs ASA contexts

Nick Cutting ncutting at edgetg.co.uk
Thu Nov 19 05:35:45 EST 2015

We run multi-tenant Cloud infrastructure for many small clients.

We are using ASA firewall contexts to protect inter-client hosted communications.

Was thinking of using ASA-V instead of multiple contexts to keep costs down - and I would more easily be able to automate the provisioning of the Client Firewalls.

Does anyone have any experience do this ?
It is generally cheaper or more expensive that multiple contexts?

We have some quotes in with our supplier - but It looks ludicrously expensive compared to Contexts licensing at a first glance.

I'm not interested in a chat about throughput, just in ease of rollout and costs.
Specifically the ASA-V10 (not the 30) and the standard license.

Any insightful hindsight would be greatly appreeaciated.

Thanks,
Nick