[c-nsp] TFTP/SCP

Jeremy Bresley brez at brezworks.com
Thu Nov 19 11:15:14 EST 2015

With the exception of NX-OS, pretty much anything on code released in
the last 3-4 years supports HTTP downloads.  Just put the images on a
web server reachable by the client (can put them in a directory and
specify the path as well).  I did this with a Linux host with Apache and
did an alias for /code pointed to a directory that the network team can
update with new images as needed.  To upgrade a 3560X they just have to do:
archive download-sw /overwrite
http://serverip/code/c3560e-universalk9-tar.152-4.E.tar

As a plus, it's easy for the junior engineers to just click on a link
and see what images are available for that platform if we update to a
newer version and they have an older doc with what our standard image is
(we remove all but the current standard and sometimes the immediate
previous one in case we need to roll a device back.)  This makes it easy
to keep people from loading old non-standard code whenever they replace
a device.

Jeremy "TheBrez" Bresley
brez at brezworks.com