[c-nsp] Nexus / VPC - Management port "needed" in VPC?

Ryan Rawdon ryan at u13.net
Thu Nov 19 20:51:26 EST 2015

> On Nov 19, 2015, at 7:14 PM, CiscoNSP List <CiscoNSP_list at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> Thanks for clarifying Quinn - So on a pair of 3Ks, a "typical" VPC setup would be 2 x 10Gb links + "a" link(i.e. Management ports) for the keepalives?
>
> And on a pair of 9Ks, 2 x 40Gb links, plus management port link?
>
> Cheers

Correct.  Note that the management port does not have to be the one used as the peer-keepalive.  You could just as easily use another copper or fiber port configured with a /31 or similar, if you really wanted to use the management port for your OOB network only (or whatever other design criteria you may have).

We use the management port for some of these deployments from a certain legacy acquisition, while others in another part of our network use a dedicated link due to fiber being more readily available to connect between cabinets.