[c-nsp] Cisco ASR9001 VXLAN Support

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Thu Oct 8 05:10:03 EDT 2015

Hi Skeeve,

> Skeeve Stevens
> Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 3:54 PM
> To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
> Subject: [c-nsp] Cisco ASR9001 VXLAN Support
>
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know (I've tried to figure it out) if the ASR9001 Supports VXLAN
> with Unicast VTEP 'discovery'?
>
> If so... what version of IOS-XR it came in - or is coming in?
>
> I'd rather not roll out Multicast unless I absolutely have to, just to get VXLAN
> working.
>
> ...Skeeve

And how do you plan on forwarding BUM traffic without multicast overlay then?

As Harrold mentioned the last evolutionary step is "VXLAN Network with MP-BGP EVPN Control Plane" (supported only on Nexus9K) where multicast-based data driven flood and learn for remote VTEP peer discovery and remote end-host learning is replaced by MP-BGP EVPN as the control plane for VXLAN so if an end-host is active it's MAC address is advertised to other VTEPs via MP-BGP so there's no concept of flooding traffic destined to unknown unicast MAC address. And to reduce broadcast traffic there's the ARP suppression where the MAC to IP mapping is advertised via MP-BGP between VTEPs.
But even with all these features there's still a need for multicast overlay to facilitate flooding of other broadcast/multicast traffic within each VNI segment.

With regards to EVPN
To my knowledge ASR9k can only serve as DCI L3 GW (into L3VPN) for an MP-BGP EVPN VXLAN based DC.
So I guess it's not yet possible to integrate MP-BGP EVPN VXLAN based DC with EVPN or PBB-EVPN based L2VPN backbone which I guess is what all of this is heading towards.

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.