[c-nsp] Limiting bandwidth from specific source

Antoine Monnier mrantoinemonnier at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 02:37:05 EDT 2015

Hi All,

We are running into capacity issues on some internet pipes and this is
affecting "business" traffic.
A quick analysis showed us that roughly 40% of traffic on that specific
pipe comes from Google-owned IP ranges.
We are guessing that most of it is Youtube and we are being asked to come
up with a solution to throttle that traffic. (Apparently making users sign
internet-use policy is not effective!)

Is there a way to identify youtube specific traffic on an ASR1K purely
based on L3 info?

And going more broadly, how are others handling such issues generally?

(sure, we can upgrade the bandwidth if they have the money, but congestion
point is just going to move further down their internal WAN network)

Thanks