[c-nsp] Advanced use of mrtg

Mike - st257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 12:27:52 EDT 2015

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 16:01:45 +0600
> From: Victor Sudakov <vas at mpeks.tomsk.su>
> To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
> Subject: [c-nsp] Advanced use of mrtg
>
> Colleagues,
>
> Does anybody have an --if-template for mrtg's cfgmaker to monitor
> interface discards and errors instead of traffic counters?
>
> Could you please share it? Thanks a lot in advance.

Half of what you want (errors).
http://mrtg.gvolk.com/template/interface-errors.template

>From that above config, it is easy enough to modify a few lines for
discards (ifInDiscards / ifOutDiscards).
As I don't use MRTG (but instead Cacti) I'm not certain whether you could
just add two more "data sources" to the config at the above URL.

# modify to be
Target[$target_name]:
ifInDiscards.$if_index&ifOutDiscards.$if_index:$router_connect
<TR><TD>Description:</TD><TD> In/Out Discard counters </TD></TR>

Cacti has a template for errors/discards by default. (Not saying you should
or need to use it instead.)

Report back/post the working config end up with for the benefit of
everyone! :-)

--
Mike