[c-nsp] Advanced use of mrtg

Mike - st257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 09:19:53 EDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 1:04 AM, Victor Sudakov <vas at mpeks.tomsk.su> wrote:

> Mark Tinka wrote:
> > >
> > > The process will require 259 MiB more space.
> > > 47 MiB to be downloaded.
> > > #
> >
> > So what's the problem? You can't find 259MB of space, or don't have
> > enough bandwidth to download the 47MB?
> >
> > You'll probably need more space than that to hold all your RRD files as
> > they grow,
>
> That reminds me :-) mrtg databases are compact files in plain text
> format which is nice too.
>
> > so not sure what the issue is if the installation is being
> > automated for you.
>
> Never mind, I am not here to start a flame. Thank you and Mike for
> recommending Cacti, I can easily find a jail or a dedicated virtual
> host for it, with all its dependencies, if it's worth while.

Options are always good.
Lots of *BSDs ... lots of Linuxes. ;-)

> It's just my old school misgivings about the dependency hell. Am I
> getting old-fashioned? If you already run Gnome or something like this
> on your Unix servers, then you of course don't care if a score of
> extra packages are automatically installed for you (which is the case
> with my FreeBSD desktop, but still not with the servers).

In terms of active trend graphing projects, it's largely Cacti or "native"
rrdtool.
Unless I'm missing another project at which case I hope somebody will
mention it.

Cacti's ability for templates was appealing so I gave it a look and ran
with it.
I run headless GNU/Linux servers ... without X and Gnome, but have been
generous with disk space.

--
Mike