[c-nsp] L2 over L3 scenario

james list jameslist72 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 04:37:46 EDT 2015

Dear experts,

a customer of mine is looking for a solution to stretch L2 point2point
links over its L3 flat infrastructure, basically it has some L3 6500
switches making its WAN networks and as routing protocol is using eBGP over
the wan links (no IGP at all... argh...).

On top of the requested L2 p2p link, a customer of my customer has to
setup/manage transparently BGP session + unicast + multicast traffic among
its DC and its CEs.

Basically I’ve identified L2TPv3 as possible target architecture including
additional devices as edge of the L3 infrastructure.

Which are current Cisco device supporting L2TPv3 ?

I’d like to share experience, receive suggestions if any, alternatives if
any, recommendations, scalability numbers if any, etc.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

James