[c-nsp] Bandwidth shaping/limiting

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Oct 28 08:37:44 EDT 2015

On 28/Oct/15 14:27, Dan Brisson wrote:

> I'm hoping to get some feedback on how to limit/shape bandwidth for
> customers in a co-lo environment.  Currently customers are connected
> to Cisco 3750 switches at either 10, 100, or 1Gig depending on what
> they purchase for commodity Internet bandwidth.  The 10 and 100 is
> fine but customers are allowed to purchase in increments between
> 100Meg and 1Gig.  So because of that, if a customer purchased 300Mb/s,
> it would be nice to limit their physical gig port to capping out at
> 300Mb/s.
>
> I know the 3750 line has some shaping capability, but I'm not sure it
> can do what I want.  And further I'm not sure if it has the buffer
> space to do what I want.
>
> Can someone confirm or deny the capabilities the Catalyst 3750 line
> with respect to this situation.  And if the 3750 cannot do what I
> need, what should I look at in the Cisco line?  Would the ME line of
> switches be more appropriate.

The only Cisco switch I am aware of that can do egress policing is the
ME3600X, ASR920, and whatever runs the SUP-2T (SUP-2T not tested, just
based on what others have said).

Egress shaping is, IIRC, supported on some of Cisco's desktop switches,
but as you say, the limited buffers on these platforms may create some
interesting situations in the field.

I believe reasonably recent desktop switches from Cisco will support
ingress policing, but suggest you check this out before you buy.

Mark.