[c-nsp] The Family of ASR902 - ASR903 - ASR907

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed Oct 28 12:40:25 EDT 2015

> On Oct 28, 2015, at 9:27 AM, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:
>
>> It seems quite scalable and seems to have a nice path to higher density ethernet with the RSP3 supporting (8) 10 gig, (2) 40 gig and (1) 100 gig
>
> Please correct me if I’m wrong, as I may be overlooking something, but only the 8x1g and 1x10g are actually available, and only with the RSP3, and the RSP3 is not supported on the small chassis.  So that doesn’t seem like great density and price point to me, compared to, say, an ASR9001.

Errr…  Okay… So this describes more interesting stuff: 8x10gb SFP instead of XFP, and the 1x100gb module:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-903-series-aggregation-services-routers/data_sheet_c78-715295.html

It also talks about "Cisco ASR 902 Router with A900-RSP3C-400-S” but that’s not a configurable option in the ordering system right now: "SKU A900-RSP3C-400-S is not a valid option. Please choose another item. (C0208)”

The chassis data sheet says "The RSP engine form factor of the Cisco ASR 902 and ASR 903 routers is identical and can be moved between these two chassis types. However, the form factor of the Cisco ASR 907 RSP engine is different and can currently not be shared across different chassis types.”  So that would indicate that there isn’t yet an RSP3 variant for the ASR902 and ASR903, but that data sheets anticipate that in the future.

So, yeah, maybe an interesting space to watch in the future.

We’ve got a bunch of the 60gb-license-limited ASR9001S about to arrive…  They are, I think, $15k cheaper than the unlimited ASR9001 (120gb) ones, and $10k more expensive once you buy the license that removes the restriction.  So it’s a mild short-term savings on a platform that we’ve been very happy with, and the long-term higher price will probably be outweighed (for us) by having had a faster CPU in the mean time, and not having to do a physical upgrade later.  Not sure it’s worth the hassle for the $15k savings in the mean-time, but we’ll find out soon.  We’d been looking at starting to deploy the ASR1001X when the ASR9001S option appeared.

                                -Bill