[c-nsp] Bandwidth shaping/limiting

Ian Hiddleston ian.hiddleston at civica.co.uk
Thu Oct 29 12:51:26 EDT 2015

>Ok, cool.  Thanks for getting me thinking a bit upstream...looks like it
>will really make my life easier.  I need to do a bit more research on
>"policing" vs. "shaping".  My first inclination is that I don't ever
>want to drop traffic in any direction in a co-lo environment so policing
>seems like a bad idea, but perhaps my understanding of policing is not
>accurate.

>Thanks,
>-dan

I'd be inclined towards using policing in both directions. It's a maximum limit after all, same thing that happens when you run a physical interface to capacity. The other advantage to policing is that it's very simple to configure and troubleshoot, which is great when things go wrong at 2am.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/quality-of-service-qos/qos-policing/19645-policevsshape.html

That gives a good breakdown on what to expect.

Regards,

Ian Hiddleston | Senior Network Analyst | Civica UK Limited
Tel: 0845 055 2323
e-mail: ian.hiddleston at civica.co.uk | http://www.civica.co.uk