[c-nsp] PBB-EVPN

Adam Vitkovsky Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
Tue Sep 1 03:45:46 EDT 2015

> From: cisco-nsp [mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of
> Ivan Walker
>
> I have been looking into PBB-EVPN and would be interested in hearing
> experience from others.
>
> As far as I have understood there are two real benefits:
> 1) PBB / MAC in MAC reduces the load on BGP as BGP only needs to worry
> about the B-MACs
Yes that's the main benefit which also results in faster convergence although one might argue that if BGP PIC is used the BGP convergence is a moot point.
There's one more benefit though and that is data-plane based C-MAC learning -which facilitates faster VM moves.

> 2) Per-flow redundancy and load balancing
>
> Is it correct that the only way to connect  a CE device to 2 PEs for all
> active per-flow redundancy is via LACP?
Yes because standard STP would not allow for two active links carrying same VLANs (loop)
So in order to achieve this you'd need to deploy some of the L2 multi-pathing technologies in the MHD/MHS.
But I haven’t thought much about this so I can't fully appreciate all the requirements for interworking between the L2 multi-path protocol and PBB-EVPN PE. I guess the PEs would have to become part of the topology for multi-pathing to work between MHSs across EVPN. (well so much for not running IGP with CEs :) )

adam

        Adam Vitkovsky
        IP Engineer

T:      0333 006 5936
E:      Adam.Vitkovsky at gamma.co.uk
W:      www.gamma.co.uk

This is an email from Gamma Telecom Ltd, trading as “Gamma”. The contents of this email are confidential to the ordinary user of the email address to which it was addressed. This email is not intended to create any legal relationship. No one else may place any reliance upon it, or copy or forward all or any of it in any form (unless otherwise notified). If you receive this email in error, please accept our apologies, we would be obliged if you would telephone our postmaster on +44 (0) 808 178 9652 or email postmaster at gamma.co.uk

Gamma Telecom Limited, a company incorporated in England and Wales, with limited liability, with registered number 04340834, and whose registered office is at 5 Fleet Place London EC4M 7RD and whose principal place of business is at Kings House, Kings Road West, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5BY.