[c-nsp] SNMP ifLastChange > 30 days

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Wed Sep 2 13:11:24 EDT 2015

Hey all,

I've been dealing with an issue in SNMP (6500) where I need to know whether an interface has changed its operational status within the last 30 days.

I came across the oid ifLastChange which tracks against the 32 bit counter sysUptime.0, the problem obviously is that when sysUptime.0 resets ifLastChange becomes pretty much useless.

It seems as though there would be some way to 'math around this' by detecting whether or not the counter has wrapped based on the actual uptime of the device (which can be polled from)  snmpEngineTime.0 but before I go on this adventure I wondered if anyone had already come up with a solution?

Thanks in advance,
-Drew