[c-nsp] Cisco IOS SLB performance under Supervisor 2T

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Wed Sep 2 17:32:09 EDT 2015

> On 02 Sep 2015, at 22:52, Peter Kranz <pkranz at unwiredltd.com> wrote:
>
> This document indicates a maximum of 8G of throughput for IOS SLB under a
> Supervisor 720-3BXL
>
> http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/persiste
> nt-storage-device-module/product_data_sheet0900aecd806b5dc9.html
>
> Is anyone aware of what the performance limitation of this feature is under
> the newer Supervisor 2T-10G-XL?

IOS SLB is old feature that was deprecated some time ago in
the IOS. The natural migration path was Cisco CSM, then ACE
service card, but then it was itself EoSed.

Right now it’s either F5 or Citrix for large-scale load
balancing. Or our beloved L3/L4 which you mentioned in

While Sup720 may still support it, 15.1Y and newer versions for
Sup2T don’t. This means: some commands may be there in the parser,
trick you in entering them, and then kill you with performance,
bugs, or simply do not work at all, which sometimes is blessing.

--
Łukasz Bromirski