[c-nsp] SFP-10G-LRM in Nexus 5000

Crist J. Clark cjc+cisco-nsp at pumpky.net
Mon Sep 14 18:15:58 EDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 10:45:58PM +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 14/09/2015 22:39, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> > We are running all of this over SMF.
>
> why are you using LRM transceivers then?

I am not exactly sure of the design decisions behind the choice to use LRM over
SMF to orginally connect the distro to the core when the campus was built. But
given that it was working, and we already had almost enough spare LRMs on hand
to complete the project, It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time.

We also have OM3 MMF between the buildings so replacing this all with SR is
the main plan right now, but whatever the problem is with the LRM modules
looks more like software/firmware than a problem with the fiber paths (the links
always do eventually come up with good light readings and no errors), and we
were just curious if anyone had seen this issue with 5ks and LRM before and
found a way to deal with it.
--
Crist J. Clark