[c-nsp] Tail drops on ME3600 with shaping policy

CiscoNSP List CiscoNSP_list at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 16 03:22:08 EDT 2015

Hi Everyone,

We've run into a problem with tail drops on a couple of service on ME3600's....our "usual" shaping policy (For example 10Mb) would be:

policy-map CUSTA_10M

 class class-default

  shape average 9800000

int foo

 service instance 1065 ethernet

  description CUST_A

  encapsulation dot1q 1065

  rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric

  service-policy output CUSTA_10M

  bridge-domain 1065

Which has worked historically without problem....but now we are seeing tail drop/poor performance on "some" of these services with shaping....Ive been doing some reading, and adjusting queue limit alleviates the issue?

Ive tried adding "queue-limit percent 100" to the shaping policy, but it gets rejected:

QOS: queue-limit command not supported in non-leaf classes

QoS: Policy attachment failed for policymap CUSTA_10M

Ive had a bit of a google, and have seen examples where people have used a "dummy class"

class-map match-all CM-DUMMY  <--  Had to create this or policy map complained and would not apply it

policy-map MB_TEST_10Mb

 class CM-DUMMY

 class class-default

  shape average 9800000

  queue-limit percent 100

but attempting to apply to a service instance I am still getting the "QOS: queue-limit command not supported in non-leaf classes"

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers