[c-nsp] ASR920 vs ISR4000

Pshem Kowalczyk pshem.k at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 22:48:38 EDT 2015

Hi,

General feel for the boxes:

ISR4331 is and enterprise/corporate type device. Quite flexible and
versatile (albeit at a cost of lower throughput).
ASR920 is a carrier MPLS aggregation/edge for mainly L2 services.
Non-internet scale of L3 can be done as well. Can only forward packets
(with limited ability to manipulate them), can not do any "services" (NAT,
IPSEC, netflow, etc)

I've used the ISRs for the typical enterprise edge (some NAT, ACLs, DHCP
relays etc - i.e. internal facing)  deployments and the ASR family - for
the L2 MPLS aggregation/access (i.e. external facing).  If you think that
your deployment requires anything more than plain forwarding of packets -
then ISR is the way to go, otherwise - ASR is the better (IMHO) choice.

kind regards
Pshem