[c-nsp] ASR 1002X and SPA-10X1GE-V2

Fabio Mendes fabio.mendes at bsd.com.br
Thu Sep 24 11:41:56 EDT 2015

Hi,

A couple of months ago we bought a couple of ASR-1002Xs with 10X1GE-V2
cards on each one. Those cards are on slot 0/1

We were told by the pre-sales person to believe that those modules would
allow us to create an L2 tagged link between the two routers, behaving
similarly to a switch.

I found it a bit of strange initially, but we have some CGR 2010s with
GRWIC-D-ES-2s-8PCs
and that module basic allow us to establish a session to it and configure
it as if you were connected to a real switch. You can configure all ports
belonging to the module with switchport, spanning tree and all other L2
commands.

I thought the 10X1GE-V2 module would have the same behavior.

Well, yesterday I went to configure it and even after extensive researches
through Cisco documentation, it turns out that I couldn't find a way to set
it up as a pure tagged L2 port.

Our topology is something like:

  +---+                   +---+

  |CE1|                   |CE2|

  +---+                   +---+

    | Gi0/0/0               | Gi0/0/0

    |                       |

    |                       |

    |                       |

    |                       |

    |                       |

    |                       |

---------10.64.212.64/28---------

    |                       |

    |                       |

    |                       |

    |                       |

    |                       |

    |                       |

    |Gi0/1/0                | Gi0/1/0

+----+                     +----+

|ASR1|---------p2p---------|ASR2|

+----+ Gi0/1/5     Gi0/1/5 +----+

10.64.212.64/28 will be on OSPF area 0.

The entire subnet should communicate through the p2p link (Gi0/1/5
interfaces on each ASR).

>From what I could find, it's no possible to configure those ports as a pure
L2 port, so I'll probably have to use an l2vpn, L2 pseudowire or EVC
solutions instead.

My question is, is it possible to configure those modules as a pure L2
links or I'm missing something here?

I even have some "interface VLAN" commands available on the IOS, but they
report as invalid after I issue them.

Thanks,

Fabio