[c-nsp] what the heck is "ip forward-protocol nd" good for

Alex Pressé alex.presse at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 12:26:20 EDT 2016

That's not the only insane default. IP Proxy arp is enabled by default and
it doesn't even show up in the config.
You have no idea how many misconfigured things in your environment are
relying on this "feature"... so don't just blindly disable it on a friday
afternoon.

router#sh run | inc proxy
router#

router#sh run *all* | inc proxy
no ip arp proxy disable

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 10:16 AM, Sebastian Beutel <
sebastian.beutel at rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
>     so... i have here this brand new c6880x running 15.2(1)SY1a and in it's
> default configuration i found this strange string "ip forward-protocol nd".
> My first thought was, that this has something to do with v6's neighbor
> discovery. But for what use would one forward this anywhere?
>     So i asked wisdom of the search engines and found out, that there once
> was a protocol with the name "sun-nd" and the ip protocol number 77, used
> in
> suns diskless sun 2 stations. The line "ip forward-protocol nd" seems to be
> the equivalent for sun-nd what ip-helper is for dhcp. Could this be? A
> workaround for a 30 year old proprietary legacy protocol is in the default
> configuration of a modern router? This is what i found:
>
> Router(config)#default ip forward-protocol nd
> Router(config)#end
> Router#show running-config | include forward
> ip forward-protocol nd
>
> What do you think: Is this a bug?
>
> Best,
>    Sebastian.

Alex Presse
"How much net work could a network work if a network could net work?"