[c-nsp] Output Drops Due to QoS and threshold size

Виктор Моисеев vim at psu.ru
Thu Apr 7 01:56:54 EDT 2016

If you see Output drops it means interface is Congested. That's the purpose
of counter.
And tradeoff of setting high thresholds by default is that you will get
noisy neighbors problem.
Any port with excessive traffic can eat up whole common pool, so other ports
will start drop legitimate traffic.

Imho that's why you should increase buffer based on traffic requirements
only to particular ports.

You can try some heavy linerate UDP traffic from 10G to 1G interface and
you'll fill any buffer.
And you'll see Output drops increment on 9G speed )

How much buffer space is common for all ports or reserved for particular
port is dependent on platform/config.
What size exactly in packets/bytes that buffer is - different question.

Best regards,
Victor Moiseev