[c-nsp] MTU size, fragmentation and drops

Andrew Miehs andrew at 2sheds.de
Sat Apr 16 01:11:41 EDT 2016

The PE was sending out packets bigger than CE could accept, due to
your settings and/or the link characteristics.
Its like trying to fit a domestic hose attachment (MTU1500) to a
firehose (MTU9000) without an adapter. Its just not going to work, and
water (PACKETS) spray out the side everywhere, and nothing goes
through the domestic hose nozzle.

There is no chance of the CE sending back an ICMP fragmentation needed
message as the frame it is supposed to ingest never enters into the
router, cause the 'ingress' port is too small to allow it to fit. As
Gert said, L2 vs L3.