[c-nsp] Media converters - experiences?

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Apr 22 05:04:22 EDT 2016

On 22/Apr/16 10:53, Tarko Tikan wrote:

> Do you have actual experience with the ME1200? Documentation is scarce
> and from the little documentation it doesn't look like IOS device.

We deploy tons of them as Layer 2 NID's for our fibre-based customers.

The interface is not your regular IOS-based one. Really, the unit is
designed to be driven by a controller (either the ME3600X/3800X, ASR920
or Cisco Prime) or via a standalone GUI that runs locally on the switch.
With newer IOS releases, there are more CLI commands becoming available,
but much of the features are handled in the GUI.

It has a ton of Metro-E and MEF features, and has a 6Gbps throughput
capability (4x Gig-E optical + 2x 10/100/1000Mbps copper ports).

It does not do IP routing.

We like it!

Mark.