[c-nsp] ios tcp defaults

Sebastian Beutel sebastian.beutel at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Apr 22 09:59:47 EDT 2016

Hi List,

    in some kind of spring-cleaning of our configuration collection, i
encountered some lines that differ from Ciscos defaults in many of our
switches. The Cisco default for the lines in question is like this:

no ip tcp selective-ack
no ip tcp path-mtu-discovery

This makes me wonder because i believe that pmtu discovery and selective ack
are good things. Furthermore, in our heritage config defaults selective-ack
and path-mtu-discovery are explicitly enabled.

The question i like to ask is therefore: Does anyone know why Cisco chose to
disable this by default and am i right that it's safe these days to enable it?

Best,
      Sebastian.