[c-nsp] ASR 920 firmware bugs in 03.18.00.S / 15.6(2)S

Chris Welti chris.welti at switch.ch
Thu Apr 28 06:53:30 EDT 2016

On 27/04/16 18:52, Lukas Tribus wrote:
>> Quote:
>> "This is happening due to the Flexi license feature introduced to XE 3.18.
>> This is an expected behavior. Please refer to the document below for more
>> details on this.
>
> Well that's clearly wrong, because Flex licensing was introduced in XE 3.13
> (three, thirteen) and even the link they gave you has "xe-3-13s" in its url (twice).

yes it was, but Flexi License support for ASR920 seems to have been only added in XE3.18:

Flexi License
This feature enables the flexi license on Cisco ASR 920 Series Routers beginning with Cisco IOS-XE Release 3.18S.

(see release notes for ASR920: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr920/release/notes/ASR920_rel_notes/new_features.html)

What this actually means is that with flexi license code you can now use *any ports* on the router and not just the fixed ports that are assigned depending on the licenses you have.
(Of course only up to the number of ports you have actually licensed)

Still, it doesn't have anything to do with the problem at hand.
(Apart from the fact that the implementation is obviously screwed)

> Guess you are only at the beginning of the bullshit bingo dance.
>

> I've found it particularly difficult to work with out-sourced TAC that not only
> is completely incompetent, but also lacks knowledge of basic internal TAC
> policies and tools. Seriously if you ask the same question at a McDrive, you
> at least get a "i don't know", but they are paid to close a SR as fast as possible
> (or elaborate as many SRs as possible in the shortest amount of time possible).
>
> If I think about the amount of money I'm shoving down their throats just for
> support and what I get in return I could cry.

I totally agree, that is actually the saddest part.

--
Chris