[c-nsp] BGP next hops in BGP not in IGP

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Aug 1 03:51:56 EDT 2016

On 1/Aug/16 09:01, Kamal Dissanayaka wrote:

> Thanks Jon,
>
> I my understanding is the same. It shouldnt work without next-hop-self.
>
> But it works,
>
> The directly connected network is advertised through BGP on router B using
> redistribute connected.

iBGP does not change the NEXT_HOP attribute by default.

If you are carrying the foreign point-to-point address in your IGP
(which includes iBGP), and your eBGP next-hop remains unchanged, it will
work because the foreign NEXT_HOP is known within your network.

Of course, next-hop-self is a more elegant way to do this, but that's
just my opinion. Other operators prefer importing the foreign next-hop
inside their IGP.

Mark.