[c-nsp] CSCuy29638 - MPLS (for IPv4) Brokenness Fixed - ASR920

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sat Aug 6 13:31:32 EDT 2016

> On Aug 6, 2016, at 11:30 AM, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:
>
> On 5 Aug 2016, at 11:02, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
>> I disappointed Cisco does not mention CoPP at all.
>
> Or running ntp in a vrf, although that didn't stop problems with the last bad ntp bug on ios.

Being primarily a sysadmin, it’s always perplexed me why IOS binds services to every
active interface by default and provides no simple configuration directive to specify
which interface a service (ntp, ssh, tftp, snmp, etc.) should listen on.  This is the norm
on *nix since the ’90’s.  Even if some daemon listens on all configured IPs, there’s going
to be a config option to the daemon to specify which IP to bind to.

How easy would this make configuring things:

interface loopback0 ip address 10.10.10.101

ip ssh listen loopback0
ip ntp listen loopback0
ip snmp listen loopback0

ip access-list mgmt
 permit from mgmt-ips to 10.10.10.101
 deny from all

That seems so much simpler than CoPP and other baroque options to limit
management traffic…

Charles