[c-nsp] ASR 920 and Rosen multicast VPN?

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Aug 11 06:37:44 EDT 2016

We're looking at buying some ASR 920s but are not sure if they would
work in our current "Draft Rosen" multicast VPN network.

We're generally using 6500 Sup2T and these cannot currently (at least
up to IOS 15.2) run mLDP. Replacing the Sup2Ts is a much more complex
task that we cannot undertake just now.

I found a reference that seems to indicate that ASR 920 supports Rosen:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr920/configuration/guide/ipmcast/imc-lsm-xe-3s-asr920-book/imc_mldp-based_mvpn.html#reference_E0A64FD488704FA69FE691404130458A

But what is "RSP2" in a ASR 920 context? I only see references to RSP2
(e.g. RSP2A-64) in litterature related to ASR 901/903/907.

Anyone know for sure wether ASR 920 can run Draft Rosen mVPN?

We're looking at the ASR 920 because we need to terminate a bunch of
subinterfaces, maybe up to 40 subinterfaces per 1G downlink. Each of
these must support multicast and some kind of FHRP between a pair of
ASR 920s. Interfaces whould belong to up to 40 VRFs. Uplink is MPLS to
Sup2T base core devices.

We've also looked a bit at the ASR 1000 series but the 920 seems to be
a better fit. If

--
Peter