[c-nsp] ACL performance question

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Aug 20 18:31:50 EDT 2016

I don't think ASR1k has LOU concept. In EARL platforms LOU is HW
optimisation to handle port-ranges without burning huge amount of
TCAM, OPs example showed no port ranges being used which would mean no
LOUs being used.

To answer OP's question, yes, it is cheaper in ASR1k (and all HW
implementations that I know off) to aggregate the networks to as few
entries as possible. However there is often smart algorithm between
configuration and HW, which will optimise things for you, so even
badly written ACL might end up as well implemented HW rules.

In all platforms that I've seen, it is possible to review what
actually ended up in HW. This will allow you to easily compare
resource cost of your two strategies and gives general insight how ACL
is implemented in given hardware, and what will the scale limits be in
your use-case.

On 21 August 2016 at 00:42, Randy via cisco-nsp
<cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> From: Randy <randy_94108 at yahoo.com>
> To: Satish Patel <satish.txt at gmail.com>, Cisco Network Service Providers <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
> Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 21:38:49 +0000 (UTC)