[c-nsp] IPv6 routing vs IPv4 Nating

Scott Voll svoll.voip at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 10:53:19 EDT 2016

Gert and Lee,  your picking up what I'm putting down.

two geographically dispersed exit points with multiple internal dispersed
sites each with a /48.  my over all is a /44.  So from a BGP stand point
I'm announcing half my sites out one exit site and the other half out the
other.  with iBGP announcing out the other.  since the firewalls are not
sync'd in any way, and since I'm only leaking BGP default routes to the
firewalls that are leaking them internally, I end up with two default
routes internally to my routing protocol.  This way if I loss a ISP /
Router / Firewall all my internal traffic goes out the one that is still up.

The problem like Lee and Gert points out is you must have the traffic
return to the same Firewall (stateful) to get the traffic back into the
network

Lee, I like the idea for putting a proxy at each exit point, but I'm using
a Cloud proxy solution (bound by contract).

I was thinking if I leaked all the IPv6 networks internally that would get
the traffic going the correct direction, but there is still a possibility
of asymmetric routing on the internet.

For this reason, NAT sure does help, but I don't want to NAT IPv6 but do
need a solution, to provide redundancy.

An other ideas?

TIA

Scott