[c-nsp] Ode to the old days

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Dec 9 01:58:13 EST 2016

On Thu, 8 Dec 2016, Howard Jones wrote:

> The good old days of absolutely shocking software testing...
> e.g. the Ascend Max software build that never released IPs from the assigned
> client IP pool - 200 user connections later, the helpdesk goes crazy. Or the
> awesome Nortel Baystack bugs where pressing the "wrong" key in the "wrong"
> menu would just crash the whole stack. Both in GA firmware. Nortel had a
> whole selection of similar issues in their errata.

If we're going down this road, Bay Networks is a vendor that gave me fits
of rage in the mid-late 90s.  Bay Networks had a default CLI that was
slightly north of useless at the time.  Anything useful on those routers
had to be done through a GUI app called Site Manager (or Site Mangler, or
Site Damager).

In an effort to try to compete with IOS, they released an optional CLI
shell called BCC (their name: Bay Command Console.  Our name: Blatant
Cisco Clone).  It tried to emulate the look and feel of IOS on a Bay
router, but at least in that very early version, was sorely lacking.
Typing "delete ?" would not bring up a list of options to follow "delete",
but instead it caused the router to delete every route entry it had and
knock itself offline until it was rebooted.  Great fun in a lights-out
facility and no out-of-band console access to the box :|

jms