[c-nsp] leap sec adjust. may crash linux based platforms

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 21 11:45:15 EST 2016

Hey folks,

since I couldn't find any field notices about this [1] and I only
discovered it from our partner [2], here some informations about the
upcoming leap second adjustment:

Some Linux based platforms (IOS-XE, NX-OS) may crash on December 31st
23:59:59 due to the upcoming leap second adjustment.

Basically all platforms will handle the leap second adjustment incorrectly,
including legacy IOS and IOS-XR, but those at least don't crash.

See "Product Information" at [1].

"Leap smearing" like Google does [3] may work around this.

Happy crash-free new year,
-lukas

[1] http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/about/supplier-sustainability/leap-second.html
[2] http://www.nts.eu/en/networksecurity-en/linux-kernel-crashes-due-leap-second-injection/