[c-nsp] RSPAN over WAN/MAN

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Tue Feb 2 15:37:44 EST 2016

Steven Pfister wrote:
> At first, I thought RSPAN. I've never done an RSPAN session, but I got
> it working in a test setup at the central site. I tried the same thing
> with the remote site, but can't get anything but broadcasts.

rspan works by transmitting traffic across vlans which have mac learning
disabled, so therefore they unicast-flood all traffic across all ports
in the vlan.  If you're transmitting this traffic across multiple
switches, you need to make sure that the intermediate switches have mac
learning disabled on the rspan vlan, or else that they're configured as
rspan-specific vlans.

Nick